The History of Horgans
The food business runs deep in Managing Director, Michael Horgan’s family, since 1921, when his Grandfather opened Horgan’s Butchers Shop on the main street of Mitchelstown. The Butchers Shop was eventually passed down through the generations to Michael, where in 1976, Horgan’s Delicatessen Supplies Ltd. was founded by Michael and Maura Horgan from a warehouse at the rear of the shop.
The company began its operations as an importer and distributor of a small range of speciality cheeses and meats, which, at the time, was a much underserved niche in the Irish market. Over time, the business expanded to meet growing awareness and demand from the Irish consumer, for a larger variety of continental cheeses and meats. In 1987, to meet the growing demands of the business, Horgans moved to its current location , a state-of-the-art warehouse and production facility with over 40,000 square feet of warehouse and office space.